Sock Week is an 8-day make-along (loosely shark-related) where the challenge is to knit or crochet one adult sock from start to finish.
Dates: July 9th – 16th, 2023
Sock Week Rules
- The Goal: Complete one adult sock during Sock Week. (July 9th -July 16th)
- Cast on no earlier than 12:00 AM Sunday, July 9th and complete the sock by Sunday, July 16th by 11:59 PM. (8 FULL days)
- Shortie socks allowed. Any pattern is good. Must make socks in fingering weight yarn.
- EACH INDIVIDUAL SOCK = ONE ENTRY … a pair of socks is two entries, three socks = three entries, and so on.
- Bonus entries are available for sponsored items and shark or beach-themed items. Details are in the Google Form.
- Submit your finished sock(s) via the Google Form by 10:00 AM ET on Monday, July 17th. (This is to allow for multiple time zones to finish and submit the form.) Pleases submit one entry PER SOCK.
***All items go on sale on Friday, May 26th starting at 11:00 AM Eastern Time (New York)- Accessories at 11 AM, Bags at 11:30 AM, and Yarn at 12:00 PM. Shop Updates are in individual shops.***
All items go on sale on Friday, May 26th in each individual shop. See below for links and times!
Accessories – 11 AM Eastern (New York) 5/26/23
- Bobbles and Berries – hand-embroidered stitch marker set
- Grizzlie Knits – handmade beaded stitch marker set
- Simply Serving (US Only) – hand-sculpted polymer clay progress keeper
- Stitchery and Co. – handmade sock soap
- Madcow Mandy Designs – custom Sock Week paper journal
- Twice Sheared Sheep – custom Sock Week sock ruler
Bags- 11:30 AM Eastern (New York) 5/26/23
- Cottontail Farm – custom Sock Week 2023 yarn pockets
- Stolen Minutes – knitting mermaid zippered project bags
Yarn- 12 PM Eastern (New York) 5/26/23
- Cesium Yarn – “Sea Slug” sock set
- Rising Tide Fiber Co – “Jellyfish Jubilee” sock set and “Mermaid Lagoon” candle
- Nicole C. Méndez – “Sock Island” self-striping sock set
- Obsession Yarns – “Enchanted” sock set
Australia-Friendly Yarn Update – Saturday, May 27th at 10 AM (Canberra) / 8 PM ET 5/26/23 (New York)
- Obsession Yarns – “Enchanted” sock set
Here is the suggested schedule for knitting or crocheting one sock during Sock Week. See more how this works in the 2020 Survival Guide.
- Cuff Down Sock Videos from Knitty Natty
- Toe Up Sock Videos from Knitty Natty
- “How I Knit My Socks Toe-Up” Blog Post
- “Quickie Socks” Blog Post
- Love in Stitches Sock Designs- now-July 17th: 50% with code “SOCKWEEK2023”
- Ravelry: 40-Yard Dash
- Ravelry: Bobbles and Bezoars
- Ravelry: Scraptastic Socks
- Ravelry: Scraptastic Luxe Socks
- Ravelry: Sweetheart Socks
- Crazy Sock Lady Designs
Is there a leg length requirement?
- Nope! Shorties are allowed. Knit/crochet a length that is manageable for you! Remember that you must use fingering weight yarn and knit/crochet an adult-size sock.
Do I have to use sponsored yarn?
- Nope! Please feel free to use stash yarn, other yarn, or (of course!) your favorite sponsored yarn in fingering weight.
Do I have to follow a specific pattern?
- Any pattern is allowed. Just follow your heart!
- Multiple videos for how to knit vanilla toe-up and cuff-down socks are available on the Knitty Natty YouTube Channel here.
What is “finished”?
- The knitting on the sock is completely done AND the toe is grafted (for cuff down) or the cuff is bound off (for toe up).
- Ends DO NOT need to be woven in. (Meaningless bonus points for weaving in your ends!)
- Sock DOES NOT have to be blocked. (More meaningless bonus points for blocking your sock!)
What supports are available for new sock knitters?
- Multiple videos are available on the Knitty Natty YouTube Channel here.
- Sock recipe blog posts here and here.
- Join the private Discord group for additional help!
Do I have to watch Shark Week?
- Absolutely not! In fact, you don’t even have to like sharks. Let’s just all appreciate the association to Shark Week for the wonderful word play it gives us.
Do I need to stick to the suggested schedules?
- Nope! Do whatever schedule works best for you. The schedules above are just a starting point. You can do the entire sock in a day if you want. (Meaningless bonus points for finishing the sock early- you quick knitter, you.)
Are the prizes available to participants outside of the US?
- Most are! We don’t want you to miss out on the fun! All prizes will ship directly from sponsors.