Sock Week is an 8-day make-along (loosely shark-related) where the challenge is to knit or crochet one adult sock from start to finish.
Dates: July 10th – 17th, 2022
Sock Week Rules
- Must complete one adult sock during Sock Week. (July 10th -July 17th)
- Cast on no earlier than 12:00 AM Sunday, July 10th and complete the sock by Sunday, July 17th by 11:59 PM. (8 FULL days)
- Shortie socks allowed. Any pattern is good. Must make socks in fingering weight yarn.
- EACH INDIVIDUAL SOCK = ONE ENTRY … a pair of socks is two entries, three socks = three entries, and so on.
- *NEW THIS YEAR* Entries will be submitted via Google Form (coming soon). Pleases submit one entry PER SOCK.
- Submit your finished socks via the Google Form by 10:00 AM ET on Monday, July 18th. (This is to allow for multiple time zones to finish and submit the form.)
All public events are open to everyone and are free to attend. No signups required!
Midnight Cast On Party | Sunday, July 10th at 12:00 AM ET (aka Saturday night 😜) | Knitty Natty IG
Daytime Cast On Party | Sunday, July 10th at 12 PM ET | Knitty Natty YouTube Channel
Closing Ceremonies | Sunday, July 17th at 5 PM ET | Knitty Natty YouTube Channel
Want more Sock Week content? Join one of the tiered levels below to get access to the private Sock Week community!
*Signups for private events will open on Monday, June 13th.*
Level One- Discord Group | $5
- Includes access to the private Sock Week 2022 Discord group.
- Join other Sock Week knitters through this online messaging community.
- Get daily access to Natalie through the chat!
- Sock knitting help/advice available through the “Help” threads.
Level Two- Daily Lives | $15
- Everything above PLUS access to daily YouTube lives with Natalie.
- Chat with Natalie and get daily encouragement to knit on your sock.
- Sock knitting help with live demonstration will be available daily!
- YouTube Lives will be on the private Knitty Natty Channel.
- Lives will be 30 – 60 minutes daily and recorded to watch later.
- Lives are Monday – Saturday at 12 PM Eastern time.
Level Three – Sock Expert Events | $25
- Everything above PLUS two exclusive Sock Week evening events via Zoom.
- More info coming soon!
Level Four – Fish Lips Kiss Heel | $75
- Everything above PLUS access to Natalie’s Fish Lips Kiss Heel mini-course.
- The Fish Lips Heel is Natalie’s favorite sock heel and best-selling class!
- Fish Lips Kiss Heel lessons are pre-recorded and students will receive the lessons immediately upon sign up.
- A special section in Sock Week Discord is dedicated to live support for the FLK Heel students.
- Fish Lips Kiss Heel pattern is included with the course and designer, Patty-Joy White, is compensated for each sign up.
Sponsors will be revealed on Tuesday, May 31st!
Sock Week 2022 items go on sale on Friday, June 3rd!
Here is the suggested schedule for knitting or crocheting one sock during Sock Week. See more how this works in the 2020 Survival Guide.
- Sock Week Intro and Sponsor video – coming May 31st!
- Finished Sock Submission Form – coming soon
- Cuff Down Sock Videos from Knitty Natty
- Toe Up Sock Videos from Knitty Natty
- “How I Knit My Socks Toe-Up” Blog Post
- “Quickie Socks” Blog Post
- Love in Stitches Sock Designs- now-July 18th: 50% with code “SOCKWEEK2022”
- Crazy Sock Lady Designs
Is there a leg length requirement?
- Nope! Shorties are allowed. Knit/crochet a length that is manageable for you! Remember that you must use fingering weight yarn and knit/crochet an adult-size sock.
Do I have to use sponsored yarn?
- Nope! Please feel free to use stash yarn, other yarn, or (of course!) your favorite sponsored yarn in fingering weight.
Do I have to follow a specific pattern?
- Any pattern is allowed. Just follow your heart!
- Multiple videos for how to knit vanilla toe-up and cuff-down socks are available on the Knitty Natty YouTube Channel here.
What is “finished”?
- The knitting on the sock is completely done AND the toe is grafted (for cuff down) or the cuff is bound off (for toe up).
- Ends DO NOT need to be woven in. (Meaningless bonus points for weaving in your ends!)
- Sock DOES NOT have to be blocked. (More meaningless bonus points for blocking your sock!)
What supports are available for new sock knitters?
- Multiple videos are available on the Knitty Natty YouTube Channel here.
- Sock recipe blog posts here and here.
- Join the private Discord group for additional help!
Do I have to watch Shark Week?
- Absolutely not! In fact, you don’t even have to like sharks. Let’s just all appreciate the association to Shark Week for the wonderful word play it gives us.
Do I need to stick to the suggested schedules?
- Nope! Do whatever schedule works best for you. The schedules above are just a starting point. You can do the entire sock in a day if you want. (Meaningless bonus points for finishing the sock early- you quick knitter, you.)
Are the prizes available to participants outside of the US?
- Most are! We don’t want you to miss out on the fun! All prizes will ship directly from sponsors.