Sock Week is an 8-day make-along (loosely shark-related) where the challenge is to knit or crochet one adult sock from start to finish.
Dates: July 10th – 17th, 2022
Sock Week Rules
- Must complete one adult sock during Sock Week. (July 10th -July 17th)
- Cast on no earlier than 12:00 AM Sunday, July 10th and complete the sock by Sunday, July 17th by 11:59 PM. (8 FULL days)
- Shortie socks allowed. Any pattern is good. Must make socks in fingering weight yarn.
- EACH INDIVIDUAL SOCK = ONE ENTRY … a pair of socks is two entries, three socks = three entries, and so on.
- Bonus entries are available for sponsored items and shark or beach-themed items. Details are in the Google Form.
- *NEW THIS YEAR* Entries will be submitted via Google Form. Pleases submit one entry PER SOCK.
- Submit your finished socks via the Google Form by 10:00 AM ET on Monday, July 18th. (This is to allow for multiple time zones to finish and submit the form.)
***Most items are pre-orders, so please read the listings carefully!***
Sock Week Official Merchandise – Logo designed by Allison M. Clark
All public events are open to everyone and are free to attend. No signups required!
Daytime Cast On Party | Sunday, July 10th at 12 PM ET | Knitty Natty YouTube Channel
Closing Ceremonies | Sunday, July 17th at 5 PM ET | Knitty Natty YouTube Channel
Want more Sock Week content? Join one of the tiered levels below to get access to the private Sock Week community!
*Signups are now closed.*
Level One- Discord Group | $5
- Includes access to the private Sock Week 2022 Discord group.
- Join other Sock Week knitters through this online messaging community.
- Get daily access to Natalie through the chat!
- Sock knitting help/advice available through the “Help” threads.
Level Two- Daily Lives | $15
- Everything above PLUS access to daily YouTube lives with Natalie.
- Chat with Natalie and get daily encouragement to knit on your sock.
- Sock knitting help with live demonstration will be available daily!
- YouTube Lives will be on the private Knitty Natty Channel.
- Lives will be 30 – 60 minutes daily and recorded to watch later.
- Lives are Monday – Saturday at 12 PM Eastern time.
Level Three – Sock Expert Events | $25
- Everything above PLUS two exclusive Sock Week evening events via Zoom.
- Events will be recorded to watch later.
- Event 1: “Creating and Sticking to Your Project Plans” with Boston Jen of the Down Cellar Studio Podcast | Tuesday, July 12th from 8:00-9:00 PM ET
- Event 2: “Sock Expert Panel” with Denise aka Earthtones Girl, Julie aka Twin Stitches Designs, Lisa K. Ross aka Paper Daisy Creations, and Summer of Summer Lee Knits | Thursday, July 14th from 7:00-8:00 PM ET
Level Four – Fish Lips Kiss Heel | $75
- Everything above PLUS access to Natalie’s Fish Lips Kiss Heel mini-course.
- The Fish Lips Heel is Natalie’s favorite sock heel and best-selling class!
- Fish Lips Kiss Heel lessons are pre-recorded and students will receive the lessons immediately upon sign up.
- A special section in Sock Week Discord is dedicated to live support for the FLK Heel students.
- Fish Lips Kiss Heel pattern is included with the course and designer, Patty-Joy White, is compensated for each sign up.
Many items are sold out! Please check the shop links below.
Logo and Pins: https://www.etsy.com/shop/stitcheryandco
Drawstring Bags and Notions Pouches: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StitchingPlaza
Sock Blockers and Stitch Markers: https://www.fangirlfibers.com/
Wool Wash and End Stoppers: https://www.etsy.com/shop/lillyreycrochetco
Sock Set (Baby Shark + Bellini): https://oliviaandoliverfibers.com/
Sock Set (Up at Dawn + Shark!): https://thelittlewolfknits.myshopify.com/
Sock Yarn w/Optional Mini (Tiger’s Eye Shark): https://yarnovernewyork.com/
Here is the suggested schedule for knitting or crocheting one sock during Sock Week. See more how this works in the 2020 Survival Guide.
- Cuff Down Sock Videos from Knitty Natty
- Toe Up Sock Videos from Knitty Natty
- “How I Knit My Socks Toe-Up” Blog Post
- “Quickie Socks” Blog Post
- Love in Stitches Sock Designs- now-July 18th: 50% with code “SOCKWEEK2022”
- Crazy Sock Lady Designs
Is there a leg length requirement?
- Nope! Shorties are allowed. Knit/crochet a length that is manageable for you! Remember that you must use fingering weight yarn and knit/crochet an adult-size sock.
Do I have to use sponsored yarn?
- Nope! Please feel free to use stash yarn, other yarn, or (of course!) your favorite sponsored yarn in fingering weight.
Do I have to follow a specific pattern?
- Any pattern is allowed. Just follow your heart!
- Multiple videos for how to knit vanilla toe-up and cuff-down socks are available on the Knitty Natty YouTube Channel here.
What is “finished”?
- The knitting on the sock is completely done AND the toe is grafted (for cuff down) or the cuff is bound off (for toe up).
- Ends DO NOT need to be woven in. (Meaningless bonus points for weaving in your ends!)
- Sock DOES NOT have to be blocked. (More meaningless bonus points for blocking your sock!)
What supports are available for new sock knitters?
- Multiple videos are available on the Knitty Natty YouTube Channel here.
- Sock recipe blog posts here and here.
- Join the private Discord group for additional help!
Do I have to watch Shark Week?
- Absolutely not! In fact, you don’t even have to like sharks. Let’s just all appreciate the association to Shark Week for the wonderful word play it gives us.
Do I need to stick to the suggested schedules?
- Nope! Do whatever schedule works best for you. The schedules above are just a starting point. You can do the entire sock in a day if you want. (Meaningless bonus points for finishing the sock early- you quick knitter, you.)
Are the prizes available to participants outside of the US?
- Most are! We don’t want you to miss out on the fun! All prizes will ship directly from sponsors.