Welcome to Sock Week 2021! An 8-day make-along (loosely shark-related) where the challenge is to knit or crochet one adult sock from start to finish. Ready for the challenge? Read on!
hours minutes seconds
Sock Week 2021
Sock Week Rules
- Must complete one adult sock during Shark Week. (July 11th-July 18th)
- Cast on no earlier than 12:00 AM Sunday, July 11th and complete the sock by Sunday, July 18th by 11:59 PM. (8 FULL days)
- Shortie socks allowed. Any pattern is good. Must make socks in fingering weight yarn.
- EACH INDIVIDUAL SOCK = ONE ENTRY … a pair of socks is two entries, three socks = three entries, and so on. Make sure each sock has its own post on the FS (Finish Socks) Ravelry thread.
- Post a finished object picture in the FS (Finished Socks) Ravelry thread by 10:00 AM ET on Monday, July 19th. (This is to allow for multiple time zones to finish and post a picture.)
We’ve got a TON of events this year from cast on parties to sock classes. It’s going to be a blast! Many events are free (like the cast on parties) and some are paid (like the Zoom groups 🤩).
List of events (more details on paid events below):
- Cast on Party 1 (Instagram) – Sunday, July 11th @ 12:00 AM ET (midnight Saturday)
- Cast on Party 2 (YouTube)- Sunday, July 11th @ 11:00 AM ET
- Join a Shiver ($20 for three 1-hour meetups) – Zoom group that meets three times during Sock Week to knit on our socks, motivate each other, and help answer questions.
- Shiver 1: Monday 7/12, Wednesday 7/14, and Friday 7/16 @ 12 PM ET
- Shiver 2: Monday 7/12, Wednesday 7/14, and Friday 7/16 @ 2 PM ET
- Shiver 3: Monday 7/12, Wednesday 7/14, and Friday 7/16 @ 6 PM ET
- Signups open Friday, July 2nd @ 12:00 PM ET.
- Live free sock classes on YouTube
- Monday 7/12 @ 10 AM ET- Cuff Down- The easy stretchy cast on and cuff.
- Tuesday 7/13 @10 AM ET- Toe Up- Judy’s Magic Cast On and toe increases.
- Friday 7/16 @ 10 AM ET- Cuff Down- The toe decreases and kitchener.
- Friday 7/16 @ 4 PM ET- Toe Up- The cuff and super stretchy bind off.
- Paid sock classes on Zoom ($45 for a 3-hour class, held over two days).
- Wednesday 7/14 @ 10 AM ET – Fish Lips Kiss Heel Part 1 – 90 minutes
- Thursday 7/15 @ 10 AM ET – Fish Lips Kiss Heel Part 2 – 90 minutes
- Signups open Friday, July 2nd @ 12:00 PM ET.
- “Fin”-ale Closing Party (Instagram) – Sunday, July 18th @ 12 PM ET
A “shiver” is one name for a group of sharks… and though this is a group opportunity, I promise we won’t be sharky! 😜
- Three 1 hour-long Zoom groups led by Natalie, capped at ~20 members
- Access to the Sock Week Discord- another fun way to communicate throughout the week
- Shivers are on Monday 7/12, Wednesday 7/14, and Friday 7/16 at either 12 PM, 2 PM, or 6 PM ET
- You will meet at the same time each day and you get ALL THREE DAYS!
- Make sure you sign up for the appropriate time!!!
Select a time below to sign up!
This is a 3-hour two part class on the Fish Lips Kiss Heel (a short row heel pattern by Sox Therapist) – Natalie’s favorite heel!
- Two 90-minute live Zoom classes with Natalie that cover the Fish Lips Kiss Heel
- Part 1 is 7/14 @ 10 AM ET; Part 2 is 7/15 @ 10 AM ET
- Both sessions will be recorded and sent out to class participants a couple hours after the class ends
- Homework for this class is to knit the cuff and leg of one sock (more details will be sent)
- This class includes the purchase of one copy of the Fish Lips Kiss Heel pattern by Sox Therapist that will be delivered via email
You can find a list of all of the partner shops below. In addition to creating a shark-themed item, each shop has contributed a prize to Sock Week.
Shop List: http://bit.ly/SockWeek2021ShopList
- Moonglow Yarn Co
- Mountain Mist Yarn
- Nani’s Attic Creations
- Northern Swan Creates
- Ritz Fibers
- Stitching Plaza
- Suburban Stitcher
- Three by the Sea Designs
- Tia’s Terrific Threads
- White Rose Fiber Company
- Yarn O’Clock
Love in Stitches x Indecisive Crafter:
Check out the amazing Sock Week 2021 logo designed by Amanda of @indecisive.crafter . All Love in Stitches Sock Week merch will be available through the end of Sock Week on July 18th.
Here is the suggested schedule for knitting or crocheting one sock during Sock Week. See more how this works in last year’s Survival Guide.
- Sock Week Intro Video
- Sock Week Shop List
- Sock Week 2021 Ravelry Chatter Thread
- Finished Sock Ravelry Thread
- Love in Stitches Ravelry Group
- Cuff Down Sock Videos from Knitty Natty
- Toe Up Sock Videos from Knitty Natty
- “How I Knit My Socks Toe-Up” Blog Post
- “Quickie Socks” Blog Post
- Love in Stitches Sock Designs- now-July 18th: 50% with code “SOCKWEEK2021”
- Ravelry: 40-Yard Dash ; Etsy: 40-Yard Dash
- Ravelry: Bobbles and Bezoars ; Etsy: Bobble and Bezoars
- Ravelry: Scraptastic Socks ; Etsy: Scraptastic Socks
- Ravelry: Scraptastic Luxe Socks ; Etsy: Scraptastic Luxe Socks
- Crazy Sock Lady Designs
Is there a leg length requirement?
- Nope! Shorties are allowed. Knit/crochet a length that is manageable for you! Remember that you must use fingering weight yarn and knit/crochet an adult-size sock.
Do I have to use sponsored yarn?
- Nope! Please feel free to use stash yarn, other yarn, or (of course!) your favorite sponsored yarn in fingering weight.
Do I have to follow a specific pattern?
- Any pattern is allowed. Just follow your heart!
- Multiple videos for how to knit vanilla toe-up and cuff-down socks are available on the Knitty Natty YouTube Channel here.
What is “finished”?
- The knitting on the sock is completely done AND the toe is grafted (for cuff down) or the cuff is bound off (for toe up).
- Ends DO NOT need to be woven in. (Meaningless bonus points for weaving in your ends!)
- Sock DOES NOT have to be blocked. (More meaningless bonus points for blocking your sock!)
What supports are available for new sock knitters?
- Multiple videos are available on the Knitty Natty YouTube Channel here.
- Sock recipe blog posts here and here.
- Ask questions in the Ravelry chat thread (coming soon!).
Do I have to watch Shark Week?
- Absolutely not! In fact, you don’t even have to like sharks. Let’s just all appreciate the association to Shark Week for the wonderful word play it gives us.
Do I need to stick to the suggested schedules?
- Nope! Do whatever schedule works best for you. The schedules above are just a starting point. You can do the entire sock in a day if you want. (Meaningless bonus points for finishing the sock early- you quick knitter, you.)
Are the prizes available to participants outside of the US?
- Yes! We don’t want you to miss out on the fun! All prizes will ship from here in NYC.